Leaders in Production
As a Maintenance Crew Supervisor, you'll lead a commercial maintenance team in providing full-service, seasonal landcare for some of our largest accounts. Many of our commercial and residential maintenance clients have worked with us for years. You and your team will be responsible for maintaining these client relationships as well as maintaining their properties.
Expertise in commercial mowing & turf management, seasonal cleanups and light installation is required. You'll also be responsible for communicating and overseeing safety standards, production best practices and adhering to scheduled job hours.
Crew Supervisors are the common thread between our Operations Managers and clients, making sure the needs of the company and our customers are communicated to the production teams who'll get the work done.
As a Crew Supervisor, you'll have one foot in the production world and the other in management and client relations.
- Weekly mowing with commercial lawncare equipment.
- Trimming, edging, weeding, mulching & other detail work using powered equipment.
- Leaf cleanups, light pruning & basic plant care service.
- Snow removal, including shoveling and application of snowmelting products.
- Scheduled maintenance of crew trucks and equipment.
- Scheduled maintenance of office grounds and garage.
- Reviews of team performance, ensuring jobs are done correctly and as scheduled.
- Point of contact for passersby on site, communicating our work and answering any questions.
- Attending scheduled staff meetings, taking stated goals of your division and applying the lessons to your crew's work.
Our Maintenance crews service our largest and most tenured accounts. As a Crew Supervisor, you'll be in charge of the team that maintains our good standing.
In working for these clients, you and your crew won't just be maintaining the grounds -- you'll be maintaining our most important business relationships.
The careful and timely completion of scheduled work is only half the job. Communicating with clients, leading your Crew Members and working with our management teams all require that you can handle multiple tasks and point them all toward achieving the same goal of reliable, friendly work.
In working on these sites, you'll be working for a range of clients. Whether on a commercial property busy with employees or in a neighborhood working for an HOA, our clients will come to see you and your crew regularly.
When they do, we know they'll see us arriving on schedule, working hard and always ready to meet their expectations.
We require that all our Crew Supervisors are able to meet basic criteria, including:
- Ability to lift 20 pounds regularly.
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds occasionally and in a safe manner.
- Ability to operate powered landscape equipment, including mowers, trimmers, blowers & other basic equipment.
- Ability to adhere to safety standards & commitment to regular use of personal protective equipment.
- Ability to attain reliable transportation to and from work.
- A willingness to work in adverse weather, at irregular hours and in fast-changing conditions.
- A commitment to working well in a team, observing all reasonable responsibilities as part of the job.
- Prior landscaping experience, including familiarity with all powered and non-powered equipment relevant to our jobs.
- A valid PA driver's license and DOT Card. Supervisors must be comfortable driving light-duty dump trucks with attached crew trailers daily.
Compensation & Benefits
Crew Supervisors have great responsibilities, not the least of which is the ability take on production and management responsibilities simultaneously. Those who are willing to learn and able to exceed expectations can quickly earn promotions and new benefits, even moving into roles as Operations Managers.
Other benefits include:
- $16 hourly starting wage, with opportunity to start higher based on experience and abilities.
- Employee Referral Program | Staff can earn up to $700 in bonuses for each successful referral hire.
- Free uniforms
- Free PPE | Safety glasses, high-visibility vests & earplugs.
- Paid travel time between jobs.
- Ability to earn seasonal unemployment.
- Ability to earn employer-contribution health insurance.
- Ability to earn employer assistance in green industry certifications and continuing education.
Where You’ll Fit In
(Click the trees in ascending order to view the hierarchy of available positions.)
Our entry-level position, laborers work regular seasonal hours in our maintenance and design/build teams. An ability to work with different crew leaders in season-specific jobs is key. Experienced laborers with a knack for problem solving are our first choice for new hires as crew leaders or in other management roles.
Compensation | $
Assistant Crew Supervisor
Our assistant crew leaders work closely with the crew leader/foreman to assist and direct laborers and job needs. Will work to create familiarity with our most prominent properties and all equipment. Assistant Crew Leaders can move quickly into roles as drivers and crew leaders.
Compensation | $$
Crew Supervisor / Foreman
Crew Leaders are the first rung in the management ladder. Our crew leaders work closely with laborers, operations managers and our clients to help take the work from designed to done. Crew Leaders are eligible for benefits including health insurance and paid time off, as well as assistance in earning green industry certifications. Strong knowledge of equipment, industry standard practices and a driver's license are essential.
Compensation | $$$
Operations Managers have broad responsibilities in production, management and customer relations. An ability to oversee projects from the design phase to completion & customer follow-up is a must, as is providing production staff with the material and guidance they need to complete work on time. Eligible for health insurance, company vehicle and other benefits, these positions require an ability to complete multiple production and management tasks at once.
Compensation | $$$$
Account managers are the first point of contact for our clients. The success of our company is founded on customer service, and those in this position maintain our reputation by understanding our clients' needs and concerns and relaying relevant information to the production staff. Eligible for all available benefits and bonus programs and continuing education assistance in green industry programs. Significant hands-on industry experience and formal landscape education required.
Compensation | $$$$$
Join the team that grows! We know it’s not enough to just sign a paycheck. That’s why we provide careers our employees can take charge of.
Sylvan Gardens offers clear and specific career paths in our landscape maintenance and design & build teams. We work closely with full-time staff to see that they can work their way up into new roles with greater responsibilities and benefits.
We always work to promote from within, making sure that a career at Sylvan Gardens is a lasting and fulfilling one. Start yours today by learning more about our roles and opportunities.
We have openings available in all positions for 2019. Browse the rest of our job postings to find the perfect fit for you.